I find wikis a great idea. There are so many people out in cyberland who can contribute. It is a shame not to listen to what they have to say. Wikis are the perfect way to learn from other people's experiences. I really found the convention information wiki interesting. It allowed users to add maps of the area, restaurant recommendations, etc. Basically everything was included that a visitor would need to know by those who had been there before.
I was very impressed by the use of wiki pathfinders on library sites. Having constructed pathfinders before, I am well aware of the amount of effort and time that goes into making one. Allowing patrons to add to and construct pathfinders not only frees up the librarian for other duties, but will probably result in a more thorough pathfinder. The same can be said for community resource wikis. All in all, wikis are a great idea in the library.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also like that they are fast to update, you don't have to have server permissions (like we do if the Website is hosted on the district servers) as well as the collaboration. I used a wiki to transfer our library handbook to electronic format last year to save...oh...a whole forest of trees that were being killed every year when most people only used a couple of pages. The state library has recently done the same think with the state school librarians handbook.
ReplyDeleteAnn