Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Week 8, Thing #19 Library Thing

Library Thing (http://www.librarything.com/) is a fantastic tool for book lovers and for libraries. I especially loved the virtual library where you can list your books and even their covers. This is a great tool for small school libraries. Using Library Thing, the students can access their school library's holdings while at home. I also like where I can bring up my own catalog on my cell phone. This could really be a big help at a book store. I was surprised at how social this website is. I am a person who likes lists so that was the first application I thought of but apparently everyone else was quick to pick up on all the social advantages, such as book clubs, groups, and community events. This site is so easy to use.

3 comments:

  1. It is also a great way to advertise your new books and get suggestions from your patrons. I can spend way too much time on LT. Timers are a great thing - gets me where I need to go without making me give up on my web work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of it, but liked your idea of having your personal library catalog on your cell phone. Sometimes I'll read a book I really enjoy but don't always memorize or note the author; this would really help with that....searching for other books by authors I loved (but couldn't remember off the top of my head!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed that you are being so proactive with your learning. I hope that they find a slot for you soon, as anyone that is this open to technology, will make a great librarian of the future!

    ReplyDelete