Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Week 8, Thing 19.1 Florida Electronic Library

Because I do not live in Alaska, I could not access the Digital Pipeline resources and chose to look at my state libary website, the Florida Electronic Library, found at http://www.flelibrary.org/ I have used this site several times in the last few years, but are finding now that there have been some changes, both good and bad. There is a new section with digitalized historical photos and documents, which is nice. However, instead of searching each database individually, there is now a PowerSearch button. Granted, it is a pain to search each one, but the PowerSearch button didn't seem to work no matter what I did. In addition, there are sections for Florida Memory Project, AskALibrarian, WorldCat, Kids Stuff, and Teacher Resources.

Florida is really pushing their electronic databases to K-12 public schools which is nice because middle school and high schoolers don't really understand exactly what scholarly research consists of. When they move on to the community colleges and universites, they are woefully confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment