Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Week 6, Thing #14 Technorati
I am really learning a lot about blogging. I used to think a blog was just like an online diary. But they have evolved to be so much more. Sometimes it is hard to tell them apart from an ordinary web page. When I first looked at Technorati I didn't have high hopes because their layout is unappealing. But when I started to really explore the site, I found that I could find blogs on practically anything and everything. The way you search seems to make a big difference. Searching for keywords in blogs brings up many more hits than searching by tags. I think the users of Flickr seem to be tagging more than other sites, like Del.icio.us and Technorati. Tagging is a great idea because Library of Congress subject headings are often confusing and limiting for most library patrons. However, the tags are only as good as the contributors and if no thought is put into a tag, then it will be useless. So I guess I feel that there are definite pros and cons regarding tagging.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tagging is still a maybe/maybe not for me as well. Good tags, as you note, are wonderful and bad ones are useless.
ReplyDeleteGlad you found Technorati helpful. Google also has a blog search you might want to try.
Ann